A Girl's Gotta Eat

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Southern Belle

Happy Sunday, humans!

I begin this dreary morning with an apology for my silence - twenty days without a bark.  What's up with that?  I'll tell you - Mommy and Daddy went away and left me to my own devices.  Well, not really.  Aunt Jenny came and stayed with me.  Truth be told, I had so much fun I barely noticed they were gone.  But then I remembered the tantalizing odor of freshly baked bread wafting from the kitchen and I missed them so much.

Where were they, you ask?  Charleston, South Carolina.  Mommy taught me a new word this week - relocation.  I think that means we might be moving to South Carolina.  But that's a red state, you say.  Yes, but the golf is good, says Daddy.  Don't discuss politics with people, says Mommy.  That's a lot to ask of a bulldog but, like the little engine that could, I think I can, I think I can...

I feel a skooch betrayed.  Turns out Mommy and Daddy were with Aunt Gail and Uncle Stuart and their Italian Spinone, Sambuca.  They come home with the stink of his scent on their clothes.  Oh, the nerve of it.  But even worse?  Mommy and Uncle Stuart baked bread, all sorts of bread, and Uncle Stuey learned how to make pizza (see photo below)!  Well, I nevah (how's that for a southern bully).  Is there no such thing as loyalty to a little sous chef?!

Thank goodness things are back to normal and we're back in business at Bella's Breadbox.  First up?  A breakfast pizza (see photo below) that we had for supper.  We love having breakfast for supper!  This was delish - smothered with cheese and topped with bacon, chives, scallions, shallots and topped with eggs and cilantro.  Divine.  And good cold the next day, I might add.

We also took our first stab at Meyer Lemon Bread with Rosemary (see photo below) based on a request from Mama and Aunt Connie.  We used the zest of one meyer lemon and then squeezed some fresh lemon juice into the water when we mixed the dough.  The end result?  A little bit of a pucker tempered by the sweetness of the meyer lemons.  Daddy gave it a B+.  I'm thinking a little brown sugar might make the difference next time.

We're gearing up for a very busy week because of Rosh Hashanah.  Mommy and I are plotting the menu, including a lovely Tarte Tatin from Patricia Wells and our freshly baked challahs.  I'm so excited - I love scooping out the dough and rolling it into a ball  :-)  And apples are one of my favorites.  Yes, folks - it's going to be a good food week in Santa Monica!

So that's the update from Amalfi Drive.  We wish a healthy, peaceful and joyous New Year to you and all your loved ones.

Love and licks ya'll
Bellalicious

No comments:

Post a Comment